Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is moisture problems an issue?

Ask a Pro

Q. -  Is moisture a factor in whether I can stain concrete or not? I'm fairly sure that there isn't a moisture problem in my basement slab, but I want to know if I should test for this or factor it into what type of stain I might buy.
 
Hello Christin,
 
A. -  While moisture problems would be detrimental to acrylic or water base stains, moisture is not an issue for most our higher quality concrete acid stains, such as Concrete Camouflage artist grade acid stains. Moisture problems can also be a major issue for most sealers and waxes.
   Clear Shield Advanced by Concrete Camouflage is one of a few sealers that allow the concrete to breath and also will allow a certain amount of moisture to wick through and still be fine, however, a major water problem would be still be an issue. 
   Concrete Camouflage's wax, Top Shield, is a great floor wax, but not if there's any moisture issues at all.
   If you have a moisture problem then you'll likely be able to see it, especially after a heavy rain.