Tuesday, June 1, 2010

To cover and protect the walls and baseboards or not?

Ask a Pro

 
Q. -  I'm fixing to stain the floor of my garage and paint the walls.  Would it be OK if I stained the floor without protecting the molding and the wall since I plan to paint it?  I guess the real question is:  Will the stain harm wood or sheet rock?  Would covering it with a good paint be easy?

 
Hello William,
 
A. -  The concrete stain will stain the walls and wood a darker color and make it harder to paint as any darker surface would be. I would recommend you either cover it or at least use a painters shield on a handle to help protect the walls as much as you can. The stain will not have a destructive effect on the sheetrock or wood, but why make more work for yourself doing all those extra coats of paint to blend it in if you can easily prevent it.