Monday, December 27, 2010

Can I acid stain my stamped concrete patio?

Ask a Pro

Q. -  This is a colored and stamped concrete patio that is a really ugly bright red, I would like to tone down the color to something with a more brown/black look.  Can I restain this, I have found that when I have used bleach on the patio the color would run, will this be a problem in restaining?
 
Hello Margaret, 
 
A. -  So long as the concrete is not sealed, and when you pour water on it - the water soaks into the concrete rather than just sitting there or beading up, then it should work out fine for you. The color bleeding is likely because the residual release agent that was used when it was stamped (which keeps the stamps from sticking to the concrete) is being washed off.
   Though you may want to do a test in an out of the way place first to be sure and to also ensure that you like the new color, before doing the entire project. I would suggest using the Concrete Stain Prep and then a good powerwashing for prep. Also, for a brown/black color I would suggest the Coffee artist grade acid stain by Concrete Camouflage.
 
I hope this helps.